Many have regarded the Yamaha Rhino as one of the industry’s most versatile UTV machines. The Rhino’s size is well suited to many different tasks ranging from recreation to work due to its “not too small, not too large” chassis and cargo bed. The smaller nature of the design suit those who prefer to operate in tighter riding environments like wooded areas, while the cargo bed is still big enough to carry equipment or supplies for a job site. The Rhino also broke new ground with the recreational crowd upon its introduction in 2004. Up until the Rhino’s debut, the UTV market was dominated by slow, heavy, oversized machines designed strictly for work use. The Rhino’s faster top speed, powerful engine, nimble independent suspension, and overall smaller size proved that the UTV segment could be popular with those who liked to play as well as work.
Yamaha Rhino 450 Key Features:
- This ground-breaking off-road recreational side-by-side is like nothing else on the marketa new way to get way out there in style and comfort with a friend and your gear.
- Comfortable interior with automotive-type controls: Steering wheel, left-side foot brake pedal/right-side foot accelerator pedal, center-mounted console shifter and parking brake lever, turn-to-start ignition switch, indicator lights and 12-volt accessory outlet render the Rhino 450 totally user-friendly.
- 421cc liquid-/oil-cooled, four-stroke engine and light weight add up to great all-around performance, excellent terrainability and great fuel efficiency.
- Industry-exclusive fully automatic Ultramatic® transmission with dual-range (Hi/Lo) drive and reverse is the most advanced drive system available. Maintaining constant belt tension reduces wear, gives instant throttle response and provides industry-exclusive all-wheel downhill engine braking.
- Industry-exclusive three-position On-Command® In/Out 4WD feature lets you switch between 2WD, limited-slip 4WD and fully locked differential 4WDall with the simple push of a button.
- Fully independent four-wheel suspension: Double wishbones front and rear deliver 7.3 inches of wheel travel and five-way preload adjustable shocks provide maximum tire contact and comfort while navigating rough terrain.
- Thick bucket seats and that great, long-travel suspension system work together to provide the smoothest ride in the industry.
New for 2008:
- Tough, rotomolded doors keep mud, water and dirt on the trail where they belong.
- Comfortable new passenger grab handles.
- Super-reliable overhead-cam 421cc liquid-cooled engine produces abundant low-rev torque, fat midrange and serious top-end muscle.
- Dual-range (Hi/Lo) drive with reverse taps into more pulling power in low and more performance in high than any machine in its class.
- Console-mounted dual-range (H/L/N/R) shift lever.
- 33mm Mikuni BSR carburetor and high-output DC-CDI ignition serve up great throttle response and excellent fuel efficiency.
- Sealed drive case keeps out water and debris, and a hand-operated side cover drain lets out what little gets in.
- Specially designed full stainless steel exhaust system features aluminum heat shields and a screen-type spark arrestor for superb power characteristics with minimum noise output.
- Large-capacity aluminum radiator and oil cooler with fan-assist delivers maximum cooling efficiency and is positioned high in the frame for optimal protection.
- Specially designed drive system air intake vent prevents overheating and keeps water and mud from entering drive case.
- Easy-access, tool-free air filter box.
- CAD-designed steel frame is lightweight and features outstanding durability with superior rigidity for superb handling.
- Light, responsive rack-and-pinion steering features a fully sealed steering column and double U-jointed steering linkage for smooth operation and class-leading turning radius – even in 4WD.
- Large-diameter ventilated hydraulic front disc brakes and shaft-mounted hydraulic rear disc provide outstanding stopping power in a variety of conditions.
- 12.1-inch ground clearance delivers maximum underbelly protection while enhancing terrainability.
- Low-maintenance front shaft drive features gear case and electronic servo-activated 2WD/4WD/Diff lock via the On-Command system. Direct rear shaft drive eliminates the U-joint for greater durability and more efficient power transfer at all rpm.
- Heavy-duty front guard and CV joint guards protect against rock and debris damage.
- Stamped steel dump bed is rated to haul 400 pounds of gear. Center-mounted 2-inch receiver trailer hitch comes standard and can tow over 1200 pounds.
Additional Yamaha Rhino 450 Features:
- Large, specially designed seats are extra plush and supportive for all-day driver and passenger comfort.
- Operator and passenger seat belts.
- Dual 30-watt multi-reflector Krypton bulb headlights with high/low beams feature stylishly sleek cat-eye design; dual 5-watt/21-watt tail/brake lights.
- Large, 7.9-gallon fuel tank features a fuel level gauge.
- Large style headrests for good looks and comfort.
- Tough wrinkle-finish coating on the upper frame.
- Maintenance-free battery provides power, even in cold weather.
- Built in Newnan, GA, USA.
- Optional digital instrument panel boasts multifunction LCD display with speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeters, hour meter, 4WD status, transmission position and clock.
Yamaha Rhino 450 Specifications:
|Type||421cc liquid-cooled w/fan, 4-stroke; SOHC, 4 valves|
|Bore x Stroke||84.5mm x 75mm|
|Carburetion||Mikuni 33mm BSR|
|Transmission||Yamaha Ultramatic® V-Belt/H, L, N, R|
|Engine Braking||All Wheel|
|Drive Train||Yamaha On-Command® pushbutton;3-way locking differential; 2WD,4WD, locked 4WD; shaft drive|
|Suspension/Front||Independent double wishbone; 5-way preload adjustment, 7.3-in travel|
|Suspension/Rear||Independent double wishbone; 5-way preload adjustment, 7.3-in travel|
|Brakes/Front||Dual hydraulic disc, twin piston|
|Brakes/Rear||Hydraulic disc, self-adjusting, shaft mounted|
|L x W x H||113.6 x 54.5 x 73.0|
|Turning Radius||153.5 in|
|Ground Clearance||12.1 in|
|Fuel Capacity||7.9 gal|
|Dry Weight||1031 lb|
|Bed Capacity||400 lb|
|Towing Capacity||1212 lb|
|Instrumentation||Fuel sight gauge, 4WD Indicator lights (optional digital speedo/fuel)|
|Lighting||Dual 30W Krypton multireflector headlights & dual 21/5W brake light|
MSRP – $8,299
Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630
Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. (YMUS), a leader in the motorsports market, makes the toughest, most capable and versatile ATV and Side-by-Side vehicles. The companys ever-expanding product offerings also include motorcycles, outboard motors, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, boats, outdoor power equipment, race kart engines, accessories, apparel and much more. YMUS products are sold through a nationwide network of more than 4,000 dealers in the United States.
Headquartered in Cypress, Calif., since its incorporation in 1977, YMUS also has facilities in Wisconsin and Georgia, as well as factory operations in Tennessee and Georgia. For more information on Yamaha, visit www.yamaha-motor.com.