SALT LAKE CITY, — SPOT LLC recently introduced its new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger(tm). The new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger(tm) is 30% smaller and lighter than the original SPOT Satellite personal tracker, offers additional custom messaging modes, and uses a state-of-the-art GPS chipset and satellite communications to provide enhanced reliability and performance.
“Since market introduction, the award-winning original SPOT has initiated more than 250 rescues and sent millions of peace-of-mind and track-me messages around the world. We have listened to our customers’ suggestions and are proud to introduce today the second-generation SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger with its increased features and utility,” said Darren Bassel, director of global marketing, SPOT LLC. “Today’s announcement further demonstrates our continued commitment to expand our product line and develop integrated services like SPOT Assist roadside assistance providing advanced personal satellite communications to increase safety for our customers on a daily basis.”
The new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger(tm) will include the following new features designed to enhance customer usability:
- 30% smaller and lighter than the original model at 5.2 ounces
- New enhanced satellite antenna for improved performance in foliage or canopied environments
- Advanced GPS performance chipset
- GPS Acquisition light
- “Message Sending” indicator light
- Dedicated GPS Tracking button
- New, dedicated pre-programmable Custom Message button
- Protective covers over S.O.S and Help button to prevent inadvertent message transmissions
- Illuminated buttons
- Choice of orange or silver
- Included case and neoprene fastening band
The new model includes globally recognized symbols for its message buttons to accommodate use in international markets and stimulate distribution to a growing customer base in North and South America, Europe, Asia and Australia.
“The active outdoor enthusiasts such as hikers, boaters, pilots, riders, remote workers and travelers will continue to enjoy the new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger(tm) for its ruggedness while its smaller compact size and weight is ideal for portable use,” continues Bassel. “The smaller size and ease-of-use will appeal to our broader consumer markets including the family on-the-go or anyone who spends time in the areas with unreliable cellular service.”
Equipped with two, notification LED’s and six function buttons the new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger(tm) transmits activated messages based on varying levels of need:
- Track Progress sends and saves your location and allows contacts to track your progress in real-time using Google Maps(tm)
- Help notifies your contacts or SPOT Assist professional services of your GPS location and need for assistance
- SOS/9-1-1 Alert notifies an emergency rescue coordination center of your GPS location
- Custom Message button sends a pre-programmed message to your personal contacts
Since market introduction, the award-winning SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger(tm) has initiated more than 250 rescues and sent over 10 million peace-of-mind and track-me messages around the world. As of March 31, 2009 the Company had received orders to ship more than 120,000 units and it currently has a growing global network of more than 8,000 points of distribution.
About SPOT LLC
The SPOT Satellite Messenger, the world’s first satellite messenger, uses both the GPS satellite network to determine a customer’s location and the SPOT network to transmit that information to friends, family or an emergency service center. SPOT LLC, a subsidiary of Globalstar, Inc., provides lifesaving communications technology that allows users to communicate from remote locations around the globe. Thanks to this affordable, cutting-edge personal safety device, the company offers people peace of mind by allowing customers to notify friends and family of their location and status, and to send for emergency assistance in time of need, completely independent of cellular phone or wireless coverage. For more information on how SPOT LLC. is helping users live to tell about it(SM) – from disaster preparedness to outdoor adventure purposes – visit www.findmespot.com.