With about 10 acres to mow including several with very thick and tall meadow grass, I wanted to make sure I had enough power. I also wanted a good sized deck so I could get the job done without spending days doing it.
What I found during my search is two scenarios, low horsepower and/or small deck. I recently used a friend’s tractor with a PTO tow behind mower. What I found was it would bog down when trying to mow tall/thick grass. I knew that I didn’t want to compromise with a mower that did not have enough power to do the job properly.
In the end, I found Kunz Engineering. They are a family owned business that focus on manufacturing the AcrEase tow behind mowers for the ATV and UTV market.
Kunz AcrEase rough cut models offer the highest horsepower and heaviest built decks with a deck size of either a 44″ or 57″ deck.
MR55B – Rough Cut model with 57″ cutting width, electric start engine, manual clutch engagement and powered by a large 23 HP Briggs & Stratton Intek Twin Cylinder Engine.
Kunz Rough Cut Field Mower
- Extra heavy duty 44″ or 57″ deck design built out of 10 GA. steel with additional heavy reinforcement top plates in the blade mounting area, 3/16″ side plates and 1/4″ skids.
- Capable of cutting 2″ saplings and brush due to the large 30mm (1-3/16″) blade spindle shaft size.
- AcrEase takes it to the next level in tow-behind technology and equips the 57″ models with a 20-23 HP electric start twin cylinder engine option. The rugged 44″ models have large 17.5-18 HP electric start engines.
- Stable on steep inclines and trail straight at high mowing speeds.
- With two independent cranks on the 57″ models and a single crank on the 44″ models, height adjustment between 2″-8″ is a breeze.
- With twin 30″ blades on the 57″ models and twin 23″ blades on the 44″ models, the rear discharge rough cut mower is capable of reducing traditional discharge bunching and providing more of a mulched look.
- The AcrEase comes standard with four tires for added support on rough uneven ground. The tires are also located within the decks cutting width to allow for close trimming.
- The AcrEase rough cut mower comes standard with the ATV tongue.
So far I have used the mower twice and in both instances there was a mix of grass that needed to be mowed. Some was tall and dry and some was tall and thick. The AcrEase went right through all of it. Definitely glad I got the 23 HP unit because mowing thick weeds that are 3+ feet tall is not an easy task.
Mowing with our Polaris RANGER XP 900
Mowed 4 acres with our Kunz Rough Cut Mower behind our Polaris GENERAL.
Video of the Kunz Field Mower in action
Kunz Engineering Inc.
Kunz Engineering Inc. is a family owned business that manufactures the AcrEase Pull Mowers and Till-Ease Tillage Equipment product lines.