By Jon Crowley
We have a pasture with a pond that creates some challenges. Getting too close to the pond with a UTV, and your get buried in the mud. And mowing along the dam is a bit too tippy for a UTV. These are two perfect examples for offset mowing with a tow behind rough cut mower.
For this illustration we are using our Can-Am Defender HD10 XT-P to tow our Kunz Engineering AcrEase Rough Cut Mower.
Can-Am Defender HD10 XT-P
The next step in Defender performance is here—the top-shelf Rotax HD10 V-Twin engine powering an upgraded FOX PODIUM suspension and numerous interior and exterior upgrades factory-engineered to extend its capabilities—and fun—any day of the week.
Designed equally with power, comfort and convenience, the 2018 Can-Am Defender XT-P HD10 easily provides on the family’s Tough, Capable and Clever promise, but does so with a distinctively sporty edge, FOX 2.0 Podium shocks and a stimulating Carbon Black & Can-Am Red finish. Its 72-hp Rotax HD10 V-Twin is specifically tuned for serious work, but also offers 61 lb-ft torque and peak torque at lower RPM for optimal delivery for recreational applications.
The Visco-Lok QE front differential combined with the lockable rear differential offer a 4-mode traction system providing multiple choices for varying terrain or tasks. Users, via a separate front-and-rear toggle switches, can select between a 2×4 open rear differential for tight turning and turf protection, a 2×4 lockable rear for improved 2WD traction, a 4×4 open rear for more maneuverability in rugged terrain and a 4×4 locked rear for maximum traction. The rear differential is gear-on-gear to the transmission for better response, no maintenance, better efficiency and fewer components.
For next-level traction to conquer the roughest terrain, Can-Am-exclusive Smart-Lok™* technology is the new benchmark. A true full lockable on-the-fly front differential with electronically-controlled automatic modes, or with the simple press of a button that offers preset, intelligent calibrations for your type of riding.
- Towing Capacity 2,500 lbs.
- Payload Capacity 1,500 lbs.
- Fuel Capacity 10.6 Gallons
Kunz Engineering AcrEase Rough Cut Mower
- Extra heavy duty 57″ deck design built out of 10 GA. steel with additional heavy reinforcement top plates in the blade mounting area, 3/16″ side plates and 1/4″ skids.
- Capable of cutting 2″ saplings and brush due to the large 30mm (1-3/16″) blade spindle shaft size.
- AcrEase takes it to the next level in tow-behind technology and equips the 57″ models with a 20-27 HP electric start twin cylinder engine option.
- Stable on steep inclines and trail straight at high mowing speeds.
- With two independent cranks on the 57″ models, height adjustment between 2″-8″ is a breeze.
- With twin 30″ blades on the 57″ models, the rear discharge rough cut mower is capable of reducing traditional discharge bunching and providing more of a mulched look.
- The AcrEase comes standard with four tires for added support on rough uneven ground. The tires are also located within the decks cutting width to allow for close trimming.
- The AcrEase rough cut mower comes standard with the ATV/UTV tongue.
Here are a few things that I really like about the Can-Am Defender for field mowing:
- Tight turning radius
- Excellent clutch engagement at low speeds
- “Work” mode setting on dash gives you better low speed throttle response
- Ability to fit larger tires without modification (lift, arms, etc.)
- Good ground clearance – 13-inches
- Comfortable seats
- Great in-cab storage
- Front & Rear differential locker (Smart-Lok)
- Turf Mode with 2WD or 4WD
- FOX 2.0 shocks for when we want to get off the ranch and explore rough terrain!
- Door nets – awkward for utility work. Doors would work better.
- Should come with a roof from the factory