By Jon Crowley, Photos and video by Seth Fargher
With the introduction of the YXZ1000R, Yamaha brought a new level of pure sport driving with the rally-style paddle shift for full throttle upshifting on the YXZ1000R SS and a sequential 5-speed transmission on the YXZ1000R Manual. There is something about banging gears that makes us all feel like rally drivers on a closed course.
But Yamaha also recognized that many passionate off roaders are always searching for even more power. Several aftermarket companies have created turbo and supercharger packages for the YXZ1000R, and this has filled a gap for many. But now YXZ1000R owners have another options thanks to GYTR. Genuine Yamaha Technology Racing or GYTR engineers have been bringing bar-gripping, hair-raising, industry-leading technology to every performance accessory they’ve designed for over 40 years. Whether you’re shredding the track, dust-ruffling the trail, or gliding on snowy slopes, the race-quality you want is ready whenever you are with GYTR performance products. GYTR accessories are designed in tandem with your Yamaha. Once products have finished design the design phase, GYTR products undergo the highest level of performance and durability analysis, which is backed by a factory warranty.
The GYTR Turbo Kit for Yamaha YXZ1000R/SS kit is designed for the “no-limits” driver that wants to pull more power from their YXZ1000R. Here’s the full rundown on all the features and components of this YXZ1000R Turbo kit:
- A custom air box that fits in the same stock location provides clean air to the water-cooled, ball bearing, top-of-the-line Garrett® GT2860RS Turbo – which is perfectly matched to deliver smooth, predictable power without the inconsistent throttle response found in inferior systems
- New Yamaha ECU that provides consistent throttle response with the reliability you’ve come to expect from GYTR
- New water-to-air intercooler to cool all that new found pressurized air – the absolute best option for your YXZ. It’s located just above the engine, to reduce lag, with remote radiator in front where the air is cool to resist heat soak. A small electric water pump circulates water in this system
- New exhaust header utilizes the stock muffler with catalyst and Forestry-approved spark arrestor—allowing for 49-state compliance
- Includes an upgraded GYTR Connecting Rod Set
- Includes a high-quality Donaldson® air filter assembly that replaces the stock air box
- Hand-welded, TIG-welded, equal length stainless steel tubular exhaust manifold for maximum performance and durability
- TIG-welded, aluminum air box with CNC-machined base and equal length runners to provide 6 psi of boost into the stock throttle bodies
- Braided, stainless steel hoses and AN fittings utilized for proven durability
- High-performance silicone hoses on all boost connections to prevent blow-offs
- Up to a 60% increase in power overall 1
- Requires the use of premium 91-octane gas
- NOT compatible with Powered Subwoofer on both YXZ1000R and YXZ1000R SS
I recently had the opportunity to get behind the wheel of a Yamaha YXZ1000R SS that was outfitted with the GYTR Turbo Kit. The installation is very clean. I think the GYTR Turbo YXZ is even more driveable than stock with more low end grunt, a very smooth throttle control and a bunch more top-end power. GYTR has done it again with a factory look and feel to this kit. With a 60% increase in power, a factory warranty and 91 octane fuel this kit is hard to beat. My only complaint is I’d like this option straight from the factory. But if I can’t have that, this is the next best thing.
Please note that this kit is not yet available in California as of yet. Pending CARB approval.
More information: GYTR® Turbo Kit for YXZ1000R/SS