Honda would like to express its deepest sympathy and condolences to the victims of the earthquake in Japan, and our sincere hopes for the earliest possible relief and recovery of the affected areas.
Damage was widespread in the Tochigi area, where Honda has a number of operations. Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has confirmed the fatality of a Honda R&D associate at the Tochigi R&D Center, when a wall collapsed in a cafeteria. The associate was male, 43 years old.
In addition, 17 Honda associates were injured in the Tochigi area from collapsing ceilings and other damage during the earthquake (initial reports put the number of injured at 30).
- As of March 14, all production activities are suspended at the following Honda plants: Sayama Plant at Saitama Factory (Sayama, Saitama), Ogawa Plant (Ogawa-machi, Hiki-gun Saitama), Tochigi Factory (Moka, Tochigi), Hamamatsu Factory (Hamamatsu, Shizuoka) and Suzuka Factory (Suzuka, Mie).
- From March 15 through 20, Honda will suspend all production activities at its plants listed above as well as at Kumamoto Factory (Ozu-machi, Kikuchi-gun, Kumamoto).
- From March 14 through 20, Honda will suspend regular operations at all Honda facilities in the Tochigi area, where damage was more serious, and focus on the recovery of each operation. Honda associates will not come to work during this time at those facilities, including Tochigi Factory, Honda R&D Co., Ltd., R&D Center and Honda Engineering Co., Ltd.
- Honda is cooperating with electricity conservation efforts and rolling blackout measures, prioritizing the relief and recovery of affected areas.
- Honda has made contact with all Tier 1 suppliers in Japan and is collecting information from them regarding the status of their operations.
With the hope to contribute to the earliest possible relief and recovery of affected areas, Honda will provide the following aid:
- From Honda in Japan, 300 million yen (approximately $3.7 million) toward the relief and recovery effort
- A total of 1,000 generators (gasoline-powered and home-use gas canister-powered), along with 5,000 gas canisters. Honda also will dispatch its staff to explain the use of this equipment.
- The Honda family of companies in North America will establish special matching gift programs for their associates for donations to the Red Cross to aid the victims of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. Donations from associates will be matched on a dollar-for-dollar basis, with no personal or corporate donation limit. Honda employs more than 29, 000 associates in North America.
- Many Honda dealers have reached out to express their heartfelt concern and support regarding relief and recovery efforts in Japan. American Honda Motor Co., Inc has established a special website to accept donations to the Red Cross from its automotive, motorcycle and power equipment dealers who wish to contribute in this way.
North American Operations
Honda has confirmed the well being of all Honda associates on assignment in Japan from North America.
There is no immediate impact on Honda’s operations in North America. More than 80% of Honda and Acura products sold in the U.S. are produced in North America, and the vast majority of automotive parts for Honda automobiles manufactured in North America are sourced in the region.
The following vehicles we build in North America are supported by our base of 600-plus North American first-tier suppliers:
Marysville, Ohio Honda Accord, Honda Accord Coupe, Acura TL, Acura RDX
East Liberty, Ohio Honda CR-V, Honda Element, Honda Accord Crosstour
Greensburg, Ind. Honda Civic Sedan, Honda Civic GX natural gas
Lincoln, Alabama Honda Odyssey, Honda Pilot, Honda Ridgeline
Alliston, Ontario Honda Civic (Sedan, Coupe, Si) Acura MDX, Acura ZDX, Acura CSX (The CSX is sold only in Canada)
El Salto, Mexico Honda CR-V
Honda is assessing the long-term impact on Honda auto production in North America, since some auto parts are supplied from Japan.
We currently have adequate inventory of products supplied from Japan, both in inventory and in transit from Japan.
Honda Fit, Insight, CR-Z, Civic Hybrid, Acura TSX and Acura RL are produced in Japan for the North American market. Honda produces a small percentage of CR-Vs in Japan for the U.S. as well.
Honda’s operations in North America and globally will do everything they can to support the recovery of Honda’s operations in Japan.
Follow us at: UTVGuide.net Blog or on Facebook