By Jon Crowley
We’ve had our 2021 Can-Am Commander XT-P for a few months now and have used it primary for trail rides. I figured it was past time to get it up the the Rubicon Trail and see how it faired in the rocks.
For the two-seat 2021 Commander, are three trim levels, DPS, XT and XT-P. The XT-P is top-of-the-line and suits our desire to be able to Do-It-All with our UTVs – from trail riding, to rock crawling, to overlanding, to working on the ranch or out hunting the Commander XT-P is ready for adventure.
2021 Can-Am Commander XT-P features:
- 1000R: 100 hp
- 14 in. (35.6 cm) of suspension travel
- 30 in. XPS Hammer Force tires on 15 in. cast-aluminum beadlock wheels
- 4,500-lb winch with roller fairlead, XT front bumper, Full Roof & panoramic mirror
- 7.6 in. digital display with keypad
- Smart-Lok front differential
- FOX 2.5 PODIUM Piggyback with QS3 compression adjustment
- LED headlights with Can-Am LED signature
We have outfitted our Commander XT-P with a few accessories that suit our needs for adventure rides. Here’s what we’ve done so far:
- Rugged Radios intercom and radio
- SSV Works Bluetooth audio system
- Assault Industries / Baja Designs Mirror + LED Light combo
- System 3 Offroad 32-inch XCR350 tires mounted on SB5 beadlocks
- Shock Therapy Dual-Rate Spring Kit, Ride Improvement System and FOX iQS
- Evolution Powersports Stage 1 Tune
- BRP bed rack with Q-Link cooler and tool set
After spending the morning on the trail I was pleasantly surprised with how well the new Commander XT-P did. Here are my observations:
- Smart-Lok front differential works well.
- Low range is sufficiently low to navigate technical terrain without belt slip even with larger than stock 32-inch tires.
- Larger 32-inch tires fit easily without interference. Next trip we may trip 35-inch!
- Skid plate is adequate for casual rock crawling but a more stout UHMW would be nice for more extreme trails.
- Visibility over the hood and directly in front of vehicle is not fantastic.
- Cockpit is comfortable, but I’d prefer just a bit more legroom (I am 6’1″).
- Ride is plush from the factory, but after adding Shock Therapy dual-rate spring kit and FOX iQS it is amazing!
- Bed will fit a 30″ spare tire but not a 32″.
- Nice to have the factory installed winch.
- Would like to have larger wheel studs to match Maverick X3.
- Need more 12V accessory switch locations.